When a user clicks on a download link, the expectation is that they will be able to download the file. However, in some cases, users may see a message that says, “Failed to Download File, The File Contents Differ from What Was Expected.”
This means that something went wrong with the download process, and the file was not successfully downloaded. The following message appears when a user launches Minecraft Launcher, even after installing a mod.
Suppose you face this issue when downloading the Minecraft launcher for your PC. If you see this error on your PC, you need to read this article. This article will share some methods to help you fix this issue by following easy steps.
What is the Cause Of This Error?
When trying to download a file, you may receive the error message “Failed to download file, the file contents differ from what was expected.”
Several factors may cause this error:
- Outdated Minecraft Game/ Launcher: Recently, many players have been experiencing an error message when trying to play Minecraft. This error message seems to be caused by an outdated Minecraft game launcher.
- Corrupt/ Incompatible Minecraft Mod: A corrupt/incompatible Minecraft mod is causing this error on some users’ computers. The mod in question is known as Forge Pre-Alpha, and it causes problems with mods that many players use to make their games more customizable.
- Firewall/Network Restrictions: If you are experiencing this error on your computer, firewall network restrictions are likely causing the issue. This type of error can be frustrating because you may not be able to access certain files or websites.
- Corrupt Minecraft Installation: A corrupt Minecraft installation can cause this error. This can happen when files are downloaded incorrectly, or the game files are damaged. If you see this error, your Minecraft installation is likely to corrupt, and you’ll need to re-download the game.
It is important to keep your game up to date, especially when experiencing errors. Sometimes when you try to play a game through the Minecraft launcher and face this kind of error, you can understand that this error is caused by the old version of the Minecraft launcher.
So if you face this type of “Failed to download file, the file contents differ from what was expected” issue with your PC when you try to play the game through the Minecraft launcher, then you need to update your Minecraft launcher to the latest version.
Updating Minicraft is simple and only takes a few moments. Here’s how:
- First, launch the Minicraft launcher to your PC.
- Now simply click on the Latest release option, and if any type of latest update is available, your Minecraft launcher updates it automatically.
- Now your Minecraft launcher downloads update files automatically.
- Once Minecraft has been updated to the latest version, you should be able to download files without any issues. If you’re still having trouble, then you need to follow the next method that can be given below.
Related: How To Fix Error Code 0x803f8001
If you’re trying to download a Java file and getting an error that says “Failed To Download File, The File Contents Differ From What Was Expected,” there’s a fix. You just need to set Java to open .jar files by default.
Follow these steps to do that:
- Press Windows+R to open the Run dialog box.
- Now paste the following command in the run text box and press Enter.
- Now right-click on the file in the window that opens and clicks on the “Open with” option.
- Then click on the Change button in front of Opens With and select Java or OpenJDK Platform Binary.
- In the final step, save your changes and restart your PC and check if this issue is solved or not.
If you’re receiving the “Failed to download file, the file contents differ from what was expected” error when trying to update Minecraft, it’s likely due to a corrupted or outdated launcher. In most cases, uninstalling and reinstalling the launcher will fix the problem.
Here’s how to do it:
- Press the Windows+I button to open the Windows setting.
- Click on the Apps section.
- In the Apps section, click on the Apps & features option.
- After entering the Apps & features section, you must scroll down with the mouse and click on the three dots in front of the Minecraft Launcher app. And from the options you see, you have to click on the “Uninstall” option.
- After uninstalling Minecraft Launcher, you have to open Microsoft Store.
- In the Microsoft store, type Minecraft Launcher.
- In the final step, install this app again to your PC and Open this launcher to check if the issue is solved or not yet.
Viruses and malware are always evolving, and so is the Windows Defender Antivirus. It now uses cloud-based protection and machine learning to stay one step ahead of the latest threats. Windows Defender in Windows 10 & 11 now runs in a sandbox, which helps to protect your PC from malicious software.
If you’re looking for comprehensive virus and threat protection for your PC, look no further than Windows Defender Antivirus. And if you face the “failed to download file, the file contents differ from what was expected” error when downloading a file.
One way is to disable virus & threat protection. This method will help you to fix this issue, and your computer is usually working.
To do this, you need to follow these simple steps:
- First, double-click Antivirus at the bottom of the right side and open it.
- In the main section of windows security, click on Virus & threat protection option.
- In the “Virus & threat protection” section, click on the manage settings option.
- Now off all options in this section, save your pc settings, and restart your PC.
- After the PC is open again, you have to check, if this error is fixed, then you have to open the Microsoft Antivirus settings again and turn on all the options so that your PC Keeps your files safe from viruses.
Related: Fix: Windows Update Error 0x80072f8f
There are a few things that can cause errors when playing Minecraft. Here are some tips on how to fix them:
- Check for updates. A new version of the game may address the issue you’re experiencing.
- Try resetting your game data. This can be done by going into the “Options” menu and clicking “Reset Game Data.”
- If all else fails, try uninstalling and reinstalling the Minicraft launcher or the game you play on the platform. This will delete all of your saved data, so make sure to back it up first!
Why Does My Minecraft Say Launching The Game Failed?
There are a few reasons that could be causing this error message. One reason is that your game may not be up to date. To fix this, simply launch the Minecraft Launcher and update your game to the latest version.
If you still see the error message, try deleting your .minecraft folder and relaunching the game. This will force Minecraft to redownload all its files, which may fix the issue.
If you’re still having trouble launching Minecraft, it’s likely that there’s an issue with your Java installation. The first thing to do is ensure that you have the latest version of Java installed on your computer.
If you don’t, go to java.com and download it. Once you’ve done that, try restarting your computer and relaunching Minecraft. If it still doesn’t work, try reinstalling Java entirely.
Why Is Minecraft Installer Not Working?
There are a few reasons that your Minecraft installer might not be working. One common reason is that you don’t have installed the most recent version of Java. You can check to see if you have the most recent version by going to Java Official site and downloading the latest version.
Another reason why your Minecraft installer might not be working is that you have an outdated version of the game. You can check for updates by opening the launcher and clicking on the “Update” button. If there is an update available, it will download and install automatically.
You can also ensure you have enough space on your hard drive for Minecraft. The game requires at least 1 GB of free space to install correctly.
If you’re playing Minecraft and you encounter a problem, you may need to repair your Minecraft files. This can be done by uninstalling and reinstalling the game or by using a file repair tool.
Follow these steps to repair your Minecraft files:
- Uninstall the game from your computer.
- Download the latest version of the game from the official website.
- Install the game on your computer.
- Run the file repair tool and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Launch the game and start playing!
If you’re a Minecraft fan, there’s a good chance you’ve had to reinstall the game at some point. Whether it’s because of a technical issue or just because you want to start fresh, it’s not uncommon to have to uninstall and reinstall Minecraft.
The good news is that you can reinstall the game without losing your progress as long as your world is saved.
- Make sure your world is saved and backed up. The last thing you want is to lose all your hard work because you didn’t back up your world correctly.
- Uninstall Minecraft from your computer. This can be done through the Control Panel on Windows or by dragging the Minecraft folder into the trash on Mac.
- Download Minecraft from the official website and install it on your computer.
- Download the game again and install it. This may take quite a while, so don’t worry if it takes several tries to get Minecraft running.
- Once you’ve successfully installed Minecraft, return to the main menu, My Games and Apps.
- Go to My Library, then click All Owned Games. Minecraft should still be within this folder.
- Highlight the game name and then click Install.
- The game should install with all your existing saves.
In Minecraft, corruption is a biome made up of dark blocks. If you find yourself in a world with this biome, it is important to know how to identify it.
Here are some tips on how to tell if your world is corrupted:
- The first thing you will notice is the dark blocks. These blocks are black or dark grey and have a spooky feel. If you see these blocks, your world is likely corrupted.
- Another way to tell if your world is corrupted is by the mobs that spawn there. In a corrupt world, you will find creatures that you would not usually find in other biomes.
- These creatures include things like zombies and skeletons. If you see these mobs, it is a good indication that your world is corrupt.
If you enjoy playing games on the Minecraft platform, you may get “Failed to download file, the file contents differ from what was expected” error on your PC. So I hope that by reading this article and following the procedures outlined in it, you have fixed this problem.