One of the most important decisions you have to make when buying a laptop is figuring out how much internal storage you need. Depending on the amount, it can drive up the price of the laptop considerably.
Obviously, if you need a lot of storage for video editing or gaming, you’re going to need to spend more money to get it. But even if you just need a laptop for general use and web browsing, it’s still worth considering how much storage you really need.
After all, no one likes running out of space on their computer.
How To Check Storage On Laptop?
There are a few different ways to check how much storage is available on your current laptop.
- The first is to open up “My Computer” and look at the main drive (usually the C: drive).
- You can also click on the “Start Menu” and then type the following command:
- This will bring up how much space is available on each drive.
- If you want a more detailed look at your storage, you can also open the “Command Prompt” and type the following command:
wmic logicaldisk get size, freespace, name, description
- This will give you a list of every drive on your computer along with how much space is available.
- Click on the “Finder” icon in your dock and then click on “Applications.”
- From there, open up the “Utilities” folder.
- Double-click on the “Disk Utility” application.
- This will bring up a list of all the drives connected to your computer including your main hard drive.
- Click on the drive you want to check and then click on the “Info” button in the center of the screen.
You should now see how much storage is available as well as how much space is being used.
How To Increase Laptop Storage Space?
If you find that you’re running out of storage space on your laptop, there are a few different ways you can free up some space.
The first is to delete any files or programs you no longer use. This includes things like old photos, videos, music, and documents.
You can also try moving files to an external hard drive or cloud storage. This can be a good way to free up space on your laptop while still having access to the files if you need them.
Finally, you can also try compressing files. This will make them take up less space on your hard drive but they will take longer to open.
How to Compress a File?
To compress a file on Windows:
- Right-click on the file and select “Send To.”
- Click on “Compressed (zipped) Folder.”
- A new folder will be created with the same name but with a .zip extension. This folder will be much smaller than the original.
To compress a file on Mac:
- Right-click on the file and select “Compress.”
- A new .zip file will be created with the same name as the original. This file will be much smaller than the original.
How Much Storage Do I Need?
Now that you know how to check your storage, you need to decide how much you actually need.
This depends on a few different factors such as what you use your laptop for and how much space you have available.
If you just use your laptop for general web browsing and don’t store many files, you can probably get away with less than 100GB of storage.
However, if you download a lot of music or videos, you’re going to need more space. We would recommend at least 250GB for most users.
Of course, if you need to store a lot of high-quality photos or videos, you’re going to need even more storage. In this case, we would recommend at least 500GB.
1TB of storage is really only necessary if you have a lot of large files or you need to store a lot of data.
Types of Storage
- HDD – A regular hard drive is the most common type of storage found in laptops. They’re relatively cheap and offer a decent amount of space, usually between 500GB and 1TB.
- SSD – A solid-state drive is a newer type of storage that’s faster and more expensive than a regular hard drive. They’re usually smaller in capacity, ranging from 128GB to 512GB.
- Hybrid – A hybrid drive is a combination of a regular hard drive and an SSD. They’re more expensive but offer the best of both worlds in terms of speed and capacity.
Now that you know how to check your storage and how much you need, it’s time to start shopping for a new laptop!
How to Choose a Laptop?
When choosing a new laptop, there are a few things you need to keep in mind.
- First, you need to decide what type of laptop you want. This includes things like the size, weight, and features.
- You need to decide what operating system you want. This includes Windows, macOS, or ChromeOS.
- You need to decide what kind of processor you want. This includes Intel or AMD.
- You need to decide how much storage you need. This includes HDD, SSD, or hybrid.
- You need to decide how much RAM you need. This includes 4GB, 8GB, or 16GB.
- You need to decide what kind of display you want. This includes 1080p or 4K.
- Finally, you need to decide what kind of keyboard and trackpad you want. This includes backlit or non-backlit.
Storage is an important part of any laptop. You need to make sure you have enough space for all your files and programs.
How much storage you need depends on a few different factors such as what you use your laptop for and how much space you have available.
There are a few different types of storage including HDD, SSD, and hybrid. Each has its own benefits and drawbacks.
When choosing a new laptop, there are a few things you need to keep in mind such as the size, weight, processor, storage, RAM, display, keyboard, and trackpad.
Now that you know what to look for, it’s time to start shopping!